Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Grateful for the Journey

Today I was listening to a Carrie Underwood Song that I have listened to many times before. But today, it just hit me right in the heart. I wish I could remember the title of the song, but basically it talks about how our time here on earth, is just a part of our journey.

As I have sat with my mother endless hours over the last eight weeks; I have come to realize just how important this part of our journey is. I've also decided that we don't partake of this life nearly as much as we should. It seems like we are all caught up in just making it through the week, so we can rush through the weekend, and start all over again on Mondays.

There is, and has to be, more to life than just making it to the finish line. It is more about how we get there...it's about the journey. My brother, Mike, blogged about a run he shared with his youngest son, and how wonderful it was to enjoy that journey with him. Several times I've mentioned how I have these ah ha moments with my grandchildren. Feeding fish, looking in the bushes, marveling at a bird's nest...that's the journey.

Now that my journey is most likely half way done; I find myself wishing that I could have a few do-overs. Not a lot mind you...just a few. At the top of my list would would be to spend more time with my children. At the time you are raising them, it seems so difficult to stay on top of everything. But what is most important isn't the stack of laundry, or a messy room crying for attention; it is the time with your children.

It seems like only yesterday that I had four little ones. Now my baby just turned 24, and I've had to accept that I can no longer claim to be 29! I often wonder where all the time went. So parents, enjoy your children. One day they will be adults, and won't need you quite as much as they use to. They too, become caught up in the wheels of life, and before you know it; they are parents too.

Remember the old expression, "take time to smell the roses." I use to roll my eyes when I heard it. But I have come to realize how true it is. Take time to lay on the lawn at night, and point out the stars. Make time for those walks in the park, baking cookies, serving others. Teach your children a silly song, or a nursery rhyme. Create and take those teachable moments, and make them memorable.

I am so grateful for a mother and father who made time to do things with our family. Some of my fondest memories are of going to the Unitah Mountains to camp and fish. Those trips didn't cost a lot of money, but they created valuable memories. Memories of our journey as a family. I hope and pray that I am helping those I love to enjoy the journey. To look for opportunities to love life; so that when we come to the finish line we will have no regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment