Saturday, February 5, 2011

"What's for Dinner?"

Is it just me, or are women everywhere sick of hearing, "What's for dinner?"  I have to fight every sarcastic bone in my body not to reply with some smart remark.  I have tried a few replies like, "I don't know, what do you want?"  But that doesn't work either because the person will just stand and stare at me, with puppy eyes and absolutely NO suggestions.
Did they once think that I really don't know what is for dinner!  Some days I plan ahead, or I get the crock pot going, then there's no doubt.  But half the time I don't know what's for dinner either.  I go through a very scientific way of deciding what's for dinner.  Here are my top ten ways you can decide:

10. Ask yourself if you really want dinner, or would a snack due?
9. Tell your husband what a terrible day you have had.  Sometimes they take mercy on us.
8. Look in the freezer and see if there is something not covered with freezer burn.
7. Check the pantry for easy, sleazy packaged meals.
6. Attempt getting someone, anyone, to help.
5. Delay thinking about dinner as long as possible.
4. Start wishing that  Fabio will show up in your kitchen holding a pot of something.
3. Give up on the wishing, and look for the easiest thing to make.
2. Think about all the starving kids in Africa.
1. Cook for those starving kids and feed your family

Now, I say the kids in Africa only because I grew up cleaning everything off my plate because of all the starving children in Africa, or was it China?  Anyway, back to the subject at hand.  Right now my 24 year old is staring at me like a vulture.  He knows not to ask what's for dinner because he saw me writing this.  Otherwise, I'm sure he would have questioned me before now. I tried asking him to cook,and he told me ,"nice try."  NICE TRY!!!!!! Is that all a mother can expect after 24 years of caring for this boy?  Maybe it is all in my attitude.  I'm going to try and get excited about the frozen meat ( very freezer burned), the old tortillas in the refrigerator, and some ancient rice in the cupboard.  This is going to be the meal of meals I can tell already.  So , "What's for dinner?"  It can be anything.  I think I'll start replying with , "It's a surprise!"  That is an honest answer, because I really don't know, and perhaps it will end up being one of my greatest creations ever.  It might also end up sending my family to the bathroom immediately after eating:)  Oh well, SURPRISE!

2 comments:

  1. Mom! You are the best!! You make me laugh when no one else can. I love reading your blog! It's so great. I love the Fabio comment, it's the best. Love you. Thanks for all you do for me and my family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!! Go Mom, this totally cracked me up. Dave Letterman's Top Ten List doesn't have anything on you! So...whats for dinner tonight? he he My favorite response is, "Got me, what are you cooking?"

    ReplyDelete