Monday, May 2, 2016

Changing Diapers can be a Grandma's Best Friend

I remember the "good old days" when there were only cloth diapers.  What a stinky, yucky thing to deal with.  It grosses my children out, when I explain how you took care of poopy diaper by rinsing them in the toilet first!  There was absolutely no fun in that.

However, with my newest grandchild, I have discovered the wonderful opportunity it presents when changing him.  I have never seen a baby who loves having his diaper changed, but this precious little one loves it.  He can be rather upset, and when you lay him down to change him...he's all smiles.

I look forward to diaper changes because it is then that I get to look directly into his face, and interact with him with his undivided attention.  That is why changing diapers can be such a great time for grandma.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could get that same kind of time and attention from your older children, and especially teenagers?  When is the last time you have stared into their face and noticed how special each of them are?  When is the last time they have looked directly into your eyes, and smiled lovingly at you?  If I could change one thing in my life, it would be to have appreciated more, the time I had with my children when they were younger.  Believe it or not, that time rolls by quickly before you notice it.

Don't be in a hurry to make your children grow up.  That is going to happen, and one day you will stop and wonder where the time has gone. So here are my words of wisdom:
1. Make time to look into their eyes, and I mean REALLY LOOK at them.  See the special person   they are changing in to.
2. Let them know that you love them. 
3.Smile at them for no reason at all...it will drive them crazy!
4.Make time to listen.  It's easy to be the one doing all the talking, but what most of us need is a good listener.
5.remind your teenagers that you were once one.  Be willing to share your experience, and help them cope with what they are experiencing.
6.Life is tough. Give your children those hugs and kisses that you poured upon them when they were a baby.  They may act like they hate it...but really they don't!
7.Lastly, give them your undivided attention.  Smile and laugh with them while you still have the opportunity to do so.

And, as for me...I will continue to look forward to diaper changes, because it is then that I get to see a little bit of heaven in the eyes of my grandson.

No comments:

Post a Comment